In this recipe, grated carrots get combined with traditional granola ingredients. The moisture of the carrots sucks up the spices and clings to them as the granola bakes into wonderful, cakey-goodness.
Carrot Cake Granola
Author: My Wholesome Happy
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 6-7 cups
The flavors of carrot cake infused into healthy, gluten free granola.
- Dry Ingredients:
- 3 cups oats (certified gluten free, if necessary)
- ½ cup untoasted sesame seeds
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. all spice
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼-1/2 cup raisins depending on desired sweetness
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. *This is very important or the granola will stick.
- Combine all dry ingredients except raisins in a large bowl and mix well.
- Combine all wet ingredients and pour into bowl with dry ingredients. Use your hands or a spatula to mix well.
- Press granola mixture into a single layer on baking sheet, making sure to cover the entire surface with granola. Bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. The granola will continue baking and harden up as it cools, so be careful not to over bake. Once cooled stir in the raisins. Store in an airtight container for 3 weeks.
Recipe adapted form Whole Grain Mornings Make Your Own Granola guidelines.
Whole-Grain Mornings: New Breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons